Definition of Growth in Fungi
- Growth may be defined as an irreversible increase in the volume of an organism, usually accompanied by an increase in biomass.
- Mycelial fungi exhibit extension growth of hyphae, accompanied by an increase in biomass.
- Unicellular fungi (e.g. yeasts) may exhibit an increase in individual cell volume, accompanied by an increase in biomass.
- But collectively, the number of yeast cells within a culture (i.e. cell concentration) may also increase, resulting in an increase in biomass of the culture as a whole.
Fungi may be cultured on SOLID or in LIQUID MEDIA:
- YEASTS are often cultured in LIQUID media
- MYCELIAL SPECIES may be cultured in LIQUID or on SOLID growth media.