Professor Vicki Tariq
Membership of Professional Organisations & Learned Societies:
- Society of Biology
- Society for Research into Higher Education (SRHE)
- Higher Education Academy
Experience Supporting Undergraduate Learning:
- >20 years of experience teaching mycology, general microbiology
and generic skills to undergraduates (incl. 19 years at Queen's
- >20 years of experience in educational research and in the development
of teaching and learning materials.
Current and Recent Research Projects & Learning Support Activities:
- Literacies supporting learning and enhancing employability in a diverse
undergraduate population (2010-2012) - funded by the Higher
National Teaching Fellowship Scheme Project Strand 2010, £200,000;
- Every student counts: promoting numeracy and enhancing employability (2007-2010)
- funded by the Higher
Education Academy's National Teaching Fellowship Scheme Project
Strand 2007, £200,000;
- Impact of blending a multimedia e-learning resource with traditional teaching
methods to support mathematics learning within the life sciences
(2006-2007) - funded by a Higher Education Academy e-Learning
Research Grant 2006, £40,000;
- Biomathtutor: Developing a Pilot Multimedia
e-Learning Resource to Support Mathematical Literacy in the Life
- funded by the Higher
Education Funding Council for England's National Teaching Fellowship
Scheme 2003, £50,000;
- Fungi Online: Redesigning and Re-establishing a Website to Support
the Teaching of Introductory Fungal Biology to Bioscience Undergraduates
(2006) - sponsored by the British
Mycological Society, £600.
Higher Education Research:
- Tariq, V. N., Qualter, P., Roberts, S., Appleby, Y. & Barnes, L.
(2013) Mathematical literacy in undergraduates: role of gender,
emotional intelligence and emotional self-efficacy. International Journal
of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology 44(8), 1143-1159.
- Nightingale, S. M., Roberts, S., Tariq, V. N., Appleby, Y., Barnes, L.,
Harris, R. A., Dacre Pool, L. & Qualter, P. (2013)
Trajectories of university adjustment in the United Kingdom:
emotion management and emotional self-efficacy protect against
initial poor adjustment. Learning and Individual Differences 27,
- Tariq, V. N. (2013) Quantitative skills in science. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology 44(6), 779-781.
- Tariq, V. N. (2013) Emotional Intelligence: a new weapon in the fight
against maths anxiety. Psychology of Education Review, Special
Edition: New Directions in Emotional Education and Development 37(2), 13-18.
- Appleby, Y., Roberts, S., Barnes, L., Qualter, P. & Tariq, V. N.
(2012) Who wants to be able to do references properly and be
unemployed? STEM student writing and employer needs. Journal of Learning
Development in Higher Education, Special Edition: Developing Writing
in STEM Disciplines, November 2012. Available at:
- Tariq, V. N. et al. (2012) Literacies Supporting Learning and Enhancing Employability in a Diverse Undergraduate Population. Preston: University of Central
- Durrani, N. & Tariq, V. N. (2012) The role of numeracy skills in
graduate employability. Education + Training 54(5), 419-434.
- Tariq, V. N. & Durrani, N. (2012) Factors influencing undergraduates'
self-evaluation of numerical competence. International
Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology 43(3),
- Tariq, V. N. et al. (2010) Every Student Counts: Promoting
Numeracy and Enhancing Employability . Preston: University of Central
Lancashire, pp.127. ISBN: 978-1-901922-75-2
- Tariq, V. N. & Jackson, V. (2008) Biomathtutor: evaluation of a new multimedia
e-learning resource to support mathematics in the biosciences.
International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science
and Technology 39(8), 1003-1021.
- Tariq, V. N. (2008) Defining the problem: mathematical errors and misconceptions
exhibited by first-year bioscience undergraduates. International
Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology 39(7), 889-904.
- Tariq, V. N. (2005) Introduction and evaluation of peer assisted learning in first-year undergraduate bioscience.
Bioscience Education E-journal (BEE-j) Volume 6.
- Tariq, V. N., Scott, E. M., Cochrane, A. C., Lee, M. & Ryles, L. (2004) Auditing and mapping key skills within university curricula.
Quality Assurance in Education 12(2), 70-81.
- Tariq, V. N. & Cochrane, A. C. (2003) Reflections on key skills: implementing change in a traditional university.
Journal of Education Policy 18(5), 481-498.
- Tariq, V. N. (2002) A decline in numeracy skills among bioscience undergraduates. Journal of Biological Education 36(2), 76-83.
- Heylings, D. J. A., & Tariq, V. N. (2001) Reflection and feedback on learning: a strategy for undergraduate research project work.
Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education 26(2), 153-164.
- Hayes, B. C. & Tariq, V. N. (2000) Gender, scientific knowledge and attitudes toward science: a comparative study of four Anglo-American nations.
Public Understanding of Science 9(4), 433-447.
- Tariq, V. N., Stefani, L. A. J., Butcher, A. C. & Heylings, D. J. A. (1998) Developing a new approach to the assessment of project work.
Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education 23(3), 221-240.
- Stefani, L. A. J., Tariq, V. N., Heylings, D. J. A. & Butcher, A. C. (1997) A comparison of tutor and student conceptions of undergraduate
research project work. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education 22(3), 271-288.
- Stefani, L. A. J. & Tariq, V. N. (1996) Running group practical projects for first-year undergraduate students. Journal of Biological
Education 30(1), 36-44.
- Butcher, A. C., Stefani, L. A. J. & Tariq, V. N. (1995) Analysis of peer-, self- and staff-assessment in group project work.
Assessment in Education 2(2), 165-185.
- Tariq, V. N., Stefani, L. A. J. & Butcher, A. C. (1995) Citric acid production: a practical introduction to biotechnology for
first-year undergraduate students. Biochemical Education 23(3), 145-148.
- Garvin, J. W., Butcher, A. C., Stefani, L. A. J., Tariq, V. N., Lewis, M. H. R., Blumsom, N. L., Govier, R. N. & Hill, J. A. (1995)
Group projects for first-year university students: an evaluation. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education 20(3), 273-288.
- Wu, Y. -L., Scott, E. M., Li Wan Po, A. & Tariq, V. N. (1999) Ability of azlocillin and tobramycin in combination to delay or prevent
resistance development in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 44, 389-392.
- Wu, Y. -L., Scott, E. M., Li Wan Po, A. & Tariq, V. N. (1999) Development of resistance and cross-resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa
exposed to sub-inhibitory antibiotic concentrations. APMIS 107, 585-592.
- Tariq, V. N. & Devlin, P. L. (1996) Sensitivity of fungi to Nikkomycin Z. Fungal Genetics and Biology 20(1), 4-11.
- Tariq, V. N., Scott, E. M. & McCain, N. E. (1995) Use of decimal assay for additivity to demonstrate synergy in pair combinations of
econazole, nikkomycin Z and ibuprofen against Candida albicans in vitro. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 39(12), 2615-2619.
- Scott, E. M., Tariq, V. N. & McCrory, R. M. (1995) Demonstration of synergy with fluconazole and either ibuprofen, sodium salicylate
or propyl paraben against Candida albicans in vitro. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 39(12), 2610-2614.
- Tariq, V. N. & Irvine, W. T. (1995) Ligninolytic enzyme activity: a comparison of the veratryl alcohol and Azure B assay systems.
Biotechnology Techniques 9(3), 197-202.
- Tariq, V. N. (1991) Antifungal activity in crude extracts of marine
red algae. Mycological Research 95, 1433-1435.
- Tariq, V. N. & Campbell, V. M. (1991) Influence of volatile metabolites
from Geotrichum candidum on other fungi. Mycological Research 95,
- Tariq, V. N. & Magee, A. C. (1990) Effect of volatiles from garlic
bulb extracts on Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. lycopersici. Mycological
Research 94, 617-620.
- Tariq, V. N. (1989) Factors influencing zoosporangia formation by Phytophthora
fragariae in vitro. Mycological Research 94, 205-210.
- Tariq, V. N. & Jeffries, P. (1987) Cytochemical localization of
lipolytic enzyme activity during penetration of host tissues by Sclerotinia
sclerotiorum. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 30, 77-91.
- Tariq, V. N. & Jeffries, P. (1986) Ultrastructure of penetration
of host tissues by Sclerotinia. Canadian Journal of Botany 64,
- Tariq, V. N., Gutteridge, C. S. & Jeffries, P. (1985) Comparative
studies of cultural and biochemical characteristics used for distinguishing
species within Sclerotinia. Transactions of the British Mycological
Society 84, 381-397.
- Tariq, V. N. & Jeffries, P. (1985) Changes occurring in chloroplasts
of Phaseolus following infection by Sclerotinia: A
cytochemical study. Journal of Cell Science 75, 195-205.
- Tariq, V. N. & Jeffries, P. (1984) Appressorium formation by Sclerotinia
sclerotiorum: scanning electron microscopy. Transactions
of the British Mycological Society 82, 645-651.